Sunday, April 26, 2015

What Is A Snood





Pink Cat Snood

My most popular product would have to be my snoods. While the idea is not an original idea, it was an ah-ha moment suggested by one if my favorite customers. I sold cowls and hats and someone asked me to put them together and make something that would cover the ears and the neck at the same time.

I listed my first snood and sold the first one in an hour and not even to the person who it was intended for. I ended up selling three in the first day of listing them. I never dreamed they would take off quite like they have. From bears to mice I try to offer a large range of themed snoods. Before you think they are just something silly and serve no purpose other than to embarrass you dog, let me explain what makes them more than just a costume.

Snoods are traditionally worn by dogs with long ears to hold them back while eating and drinking. Most of these are sewn with a satin fabric which isn't the warmest fabric ever. While this type of snood has plenty of uses I wanted to make something to focus on helping keep dogs warm.

We all know I love the pit bulls of the world. As hard as it is to think about, some of them come from a very bad life before they find a loving home. Sometimes this includes having horrible things done to their ears. Once they find a person to love and take care of them, they need something to protect what they have left of their ears. This is where a snood is practical. No dog should have to endure going out in freezing temperatures, wind, rain, and snow with nothing to stop the elements from getting in. True they may look a little silly with big bunny ears flopping around, but at least they are protected. Of course they can be used for any breed with any kind of ear problems, but my biggest focus is pit bulls.


Even if your dog doesn't have ear problems, snoods are still great for dogs who spend a lot of supervised time outside. Some dogs love to be outside running or walking with their owner no matter how cold it is. Even though they love being outside, they still need something to keep their ears and head warm. 

With a lot of the large breed dogs they look scary but they are quite the opposite. I've had people dash to the other side of the aisle way when I've had my dogs out in public all because they are big and scary looking. Both of my dogs love people but I won't force them on someone who is truly afraid of dogs. I keep the leash tight and have them as close to me as possible when we are around people who don't know them. But if you see a dog out in public dressed up in a funny looking snood it takes some of the intimidation away. People aren't nearly as quick to judge a dog when they are trying to look like a cute little piggy.

My newest products are coordinating snoods and baby hats. With the growing trend of having your dog in family photo shoots I thought it would be adorable to have your baby and dog in matching hats. I'm thinking it doesn't get much cuter than a fall picture with a baby and a dog dressed up as pumpkins together. I've also had a few people do their babies in pigs with their dog in a wolf snood. How cute is that?

While some people think it is strange to dress a dog up in anything, especially bigger dogs, I find it completely normal and necessary. Even if some of my snoods are used for a good laugh, at least their ears are nice and warm while they are looking a little silly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment